新概念英语第二册第51课:Reward for virtue
Lesson 51 Reward for virtue对美德的奖赏
First listen and then answer the question.听录音,然后回答以下问题。
Why did Hugh's diet not work?
My friend, Hugh, has always been fat, but things got so bad recently that he decided to go on a diet. He began his diet a week ago. First of all, he wrote out a long list of all the foods which were forbidden. The list included most of the things Hugh loves: butter, potatoes, rice, beer, milk, chocolate; and sweets. Yesterday I paid him a visit. I rang the bell and was not surprised to see that Hugh was still as fat as ever. He led me into his room and hurriedly hid a large parcel under his desk. It was obvious that he was very embarrassed. When I asked him what he was doing, he smiled guiltily and then put the parcel on the desk. He explained that his diet was so strict that he had to reward himself occasionally. Then he showed me the contents of the parcel. It contained five large bars of chocolate and three bags of sweets!
参考译文
我的朋友休一直很胖,但是近来情况变得越发糟糕,以致他决定节食。他是一星期前开始节食的。首先,他开列了一张长长的单子,上面列了所有禁吃的食物。这张 单子上的大多数食物都是休喜欢吃的:黄油、土豆、米饭、啤酒、牛奶、巧克力和糖果。昨天我去看望了他。我按响了门铃,当看到休仍和往常一样胖时,我并不感 到惊奇。他把我领进屋,慌忙把一个大包藏到了桌子下面。显然他感到很尴尬。当我问他正干什么时,他内疚地笑了,然后把那个大包拿到了桌上。他解释说,他的 饮食控制得太严格了,以致不得不偶尔奖赏自己一下。接着他给我看了包里的东西。里面装了5大块巧克力和3袋糖果!
New words and Expressions生词和短语
reward
n. 报偿
virtue
n. 美德
diet
n. 节食
forbid
v. 禁止
hurriedly
adv. 匆忙地
embarrass
v. 使尴尬
guiltily
adv. 内疚地
strict
adj. 严格的
reward
v. 给奖赏
occasionally
adv. 偶尔地
Lesson 51 自学导读First things first
课文详注 Further notes on the text1.…but things got so bad recently that he decided to go on a diet.……但是近来情况变得越发糟糕,以致他决定节食。
(1)things(要用复数形式)可以表示“情况”、“情形”、“状况”、“形势”等含义:
You've surely made things worse.
你确实使情况变得更糟了。
How are things going on with you?
你那里情况如何?
(2)get作不及物动词时可以表示“变得”:
I got interested in French.
我(变得)对法语感兴趣了。
I got angry with him.
我(变得)对他很生气。
(3)diet用于表示治疗某种疾病或调节体重的“特种饮食”、“规定饮食”时通常与on连用:
The doctor put him on a strict diet.
医生让他严格控制饮食。
She is on a diet.
她正在节食。
I once went on a diet for a week and then I gave up.
我曾经节食过一周,然后就放弃了。
2.First of all, he wrote out a long list of all the foods which were forbidden.首先,他开列了一张长长的单子,上面列了所有禁吃的食物。
(1)first of all为固定短语,表示“首先”、“第一”:
First of all I must see your passport.
首先我必须看一下你的护照。
(2)write out这个短语表示“(正式)写”、“写出”或“全部写出”:
You should write out a report.
你应该写一份报告。
3.The list included most of the things Hugh loves…这张单子上的大多数食物都是休喜欢吃的……
It contained five large bars of chocolate and three bags of sweets!
里面装了5大块巧克力和3袋糖果!
include和contain都有“包含”的意思,但contain可以用于表示所包含的全部事物,include则只表示其中的一部分:
It included three bags of sweets.
其中有3袋糖果。(另外还有其他东西)
contain的主语通常为某个容器,include则含义更广:
Does the bill include a tip?
账单包括小费吗?
We're including you in our team.
我们把你列为我们队中的一员了。
4.Yesterday I paid him a visit.昨天我去看望了他。
pay a visit to sb. 表示“拜访某人”:
I paid a visit to Jane the other day.
前几天我去看望了简。
5.…Hugh was still as fat as ever.……休仍和往常一样胖。
as ever是as he ever was的省略形式。as…as ever这个结构表示“照旧”、“依然”:
He is as strong as ever.
他依然那么强壮。
6.It was obvious that he was very embarrassed.显然他感到很尴尬。
it为先行主语,真正的句子主语是that引导的从句,它在句子中起名词的作用。从句作主语时通常前面用先行主语it,以免句子看上去头重脚轻:
It is certain now that he'll come on Monday.
现在可以肯定他星期一将会来。
语法 Grammar in use
一般过去时
在第3课及第27课的语法中我们都学习了一般过去时。在一段文字中,初次使用一般过去时的时候通常要有明确的时间状语,随后的叙述则可以不一定使用时间状语;如果不加before, after等词语,过去的动作就被认为是按所描述的顺序发生的:
One afternoon she set out from the coast in a small boat and was caught in a storm. Towards evening, the boat struck a rock and the girl jumped into the sea.
一天下午,她乘小船从海岸出发,遇上了风暴。天将黑时,小船撞在了一块礁石上,姑娘跳进了海里。
与一般过去时常用的两个词是once和recently:
I went on an excursion recently.
最近我作了一次短途旅行。
recently在表示“最近一段时期”时也可以与现在完成时连用:
I haven't heard from him recently.
我最近没有收到他的信。
一般过去时也可以用于时间状语从句中:
When did she haer a noise?
她什么时候听到响声的?
She heard it when she walked forward.
她在向前走时听到的。
一般过去时可以用于与最近的打算比较时:
Are they going to see a film?
他们打算看一场电影吗?
I don't expect so.They saw one last week.
我想他们不会。他们上个星期刚看过一次。
词汇学习 Word study
1.raise与rise
(1)raise作动词时只能作及物动词,即它必须跟宾语。它可以表示“举起”、“往上提”、“使……升高”等含义:
Will those who agree with me please raise their hands?
请那些同意我的人举起手来好吗?
Why did they raise prices?
他们为什么提高物价?
(2)rise作动词时通常为不及物动词,表示“起立”、“起床”、“(日、月等)升起”等含义:
You're still in bed and the sun has already risen!
你还在床上,太阳已经升起来了!
I used to rise at half past six.
我过去常常6点半起床。
All the students rose when the teacher came into the classroom.
老师走进教室时所有的学生都起立。
2.lay与lie
(1)lay的过去式与过去分词均为laid。它通常为及物动词,表示“置”、“搁”、“铺”、“准备”等:
Please lay the book open on the desk.
请把书打开放在书桌上。
I laid your clothes on the bed so yon could put them away.
我把你的衣服放在床上了,这样你可以把它们收起来。
If you can't cook the dinner, you can at least lay the table.
你如果不会做饭,至少可以把桌子摆好。
(2)lie的过去式和过去分词分别为lay和lain。它是个不及物动词,表示“躺”、“平卧”等:
Are you going to lie in bed all morning?
你打算在床上躺一上午吗?
Are you going to spend the whole morning lying in bed?
(译文同上)
We were so tired after last night's party that we lay in bed all morning.
昨晚的晚会之后我们非常疲劳,今天在床上躺了一上午。
3.beat与win
(1)beat作及物动词时可以表示“打败”、“战胜”、“胜过”、“超过”:
They beat their enemy, though they were fewer in number.
他们虽然人少,但打败了敌人。
表示一个球队打败另一个球队时也用beat。
(2)win作及物动词时可以表示“在……获胜(成功)”、“赢得”、“获得”、“夺得”等:
Who won the race/the war?
谁赢了这场比赛/战争尸
We have won(it).
我们赢了。